1. Know the things that goes in your tank. You can definitely increase the lifespan of your septic tank by means of being cognizant regarding the various kinds of things you place in it. Make sure not to place any cigarette ends, wet tissues, diapers, napkins, coffee grounds, fats, cooking oil and other non-biodegradable substances in the septic tank. These non-biodegradable substances are capable of causing blockage in the septic tank which would require you to have an expensive repair job.
2. Preserve the drain field. The drain field is the main section of your septic tank which aids to take away the solid wastes from the liquid ones. Here are a number of tips that can assist you to preserve your drain field for so long. Be sure not to park your car or vehicle on the drain field. Be certain that the trees are planted at a safe distance from the drain field in order to keep the roots from growing in the drain field or close to it. And also, be sure that the rainwater drainage systems like the sump pumps and gutters are kept away from the drain field area.
3. Examine the septic tank from time to time. By means of having a continuing inspection and appropriate upkeep of the septic system by a professional, you are actually increasing the normal lifespan of your septic tank.
4. Take advantage of pumping services. It is important that you pumped out your septic tank at least twice a year so as to ensure that all solid wastes are properly broken down. Pumping the septic tank on a regular basis will not only improve its life, but will also prevent future system failure.
5. Regulate the usage of household chemicals. Keep in mind that too much use of household chemicals such as drain cleaner, bleach and detergent to mention a few can lead the septic tank to malfunction. These household chemicals will halt the action of the bacteria present in the tank which is accountable for the break down of waste products.
6. Ask help from the professionals. With regards to the maintenance and cleaning of the septic tank, you must always depend on the assistance of the experts. The septic tank service provider will visit your place and meticulously assess your septic tank for signs of leaks as well as damages. They will examine the scum and the sludge layers so as to find out what is the source of the problem. And even though you just find out just a very small problem with your septic tank, it is always highly recommended that you call a professional for any assistance.